Sticky Toffee Pudding? Did I mention I was flaky and a food whore?
There I was on Saturday morning, flicking through my Rick Stein cookbook, looking for inspiration… when suddenly, on page 160, it was love at first sight. Walnut Tart… come here my lover!
The nuttiness of the walnuts and the sweetness of the raspberry jam are a perfect combination. It is not for the faint-hearted calorie wise (check out the butter…)
- ready made shortcrust pastry
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 225g of walnuts
- 50g plain flour
- 225g softened unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Crème fraîche to serve
1. Roll out pastry in a 4cm deep and 25cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Spread the bottom of case with the jam and chill for 30 mins.
2. Preaheat oven at 180 C. Put walnuts in food processor and whizz until chopped. Add flour, whizz again.
3. Cream butter and sugar together. Gradually beat in the eggs, add vanilla extract and then fold in walnut mixture. Spread into pastry case right to the top and bake in the oven for 50-55 mins. I cooked it for the full 55 mins but your oven might be different to mine so start checking at 45 minutes. It should feel springy to the touch. Remove from oven. Leave to cool.
4. Once cool, remove from tin, dust with icing sugar, serve with crème fraîche. Impressive yet easy…
It was polished off by John and I in less than 24 hours… Had some after dinner on Saturday, some for breakfast, some for afternoon tea, some after dinner… Piggies.